Acer adopts Nvidia Kepler GPU for its Aspire Timeline M3 Ultra ultrabook
Digitimes on Wednesday reported that Acer Inc has adopted Nvidia’s 28nm Kepler-architecture GPU, GeForce GT 640M, for its Aspire Timeline M3 Ultra, a 15-inch Ivy Bridge-platform ultrabook. The Aspire Ultra M3 is just 20mm thick and weights at 2.3kg. The 15.6-inch system is the first in its class to adopt a dedicated Nvidia Kepler GPU.
Under the hood, it sports an Intel Sandy Bridge Core i5 2467M processor running at 1.6GHz with integrated Intel HD 3000 graphics and a GeForce GT 640M to take care of the most of the graphical workloads. Apart from that, the device is also equipped with Nvidia’s Optimus technology for optimal performance and automatic switching between two GPUs which help the Ultra M3 to achieve up to eight hour of battery life.
Other features include a 4GB of RAM, two USB 2.0 and a single USB 3.0 ports. The device is also equipped with an SD reader.
One important downside of the M3 Ultra is the absence of an SSD drive which is a common feature in most ultrabooks. Instead, it was equipped with a 500GB hybrid HDD. The company mentioned that it offers an SSD option, though it has not revealed the additional cost involved.
The Acer Aspire Timeline Ultra M3 is already available for sale in Singapore at S$1,298 (US$1,035). Acer announced that this ultrabook will be available worldwide this month, so you should expect it in stores soon.
Apart from Acer, Asustek Computer is also planning to adopt the Kepler GPUs for its new ultrabook according to industry analysts.
Meanwhile, on an unrelated news, Nvidia has recently announced that its Tesla GPUs will be adopted in Hewlett-Packard (HP) Proliant Generation 8 (Gen8) servers.
You may also like ...
Search the web
- Diamond phone cases on Budget smartphone of the week: Blackberry Curve 8520
- Kieth Gushwa on Amazon Kindle App for the new iPad
- Janis Loggin on Amazon may come up with three Kindle Fire models in 2012
- Global Online Shopping for Apple Accessories,Hifi TV&Home Theatre,Cellphone Accessories ,Laptop & Computer ,Leisure & Hobbies ,Home & Living ,Electronic GadgetsTV Mounts on Sunday dream phone review – The Sony Xperia Go ST27i
- cars on Acer and Asustek are to launch affordable Android 7-inch tablets for the Asian market